Skip to main content

Should I hire an attorney,or wait and see

East Fairfield, VT |

father passed,now executor wont show us his will,or even tell us what lawyer wrote it.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

I agree with my colleagues. In most cases, delaying action only makes things more complicated and expensive to sort out. It may be that once you file, it will force the "executor" to come forward. (By the way, there is NO executor unless and until one is appointed by the court). The nominated executor has no more authority than you or me until the Will is admitted to probate. Do not allow yourself to be bullied.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!


I would hire one now.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.


Go ahead and find a probate attorney. The right attorney can only improve your situation. He or she can offer options, discuss fees, and push the investigation forward. The longer you wait, the more property may be "lost."

If this answer is helpful or you feel it is the best answer, please click that option. This response is for general informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. The writer is only licensed to practice law in TN. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the answers by the named attorney do not create an attorney-client relationship between said attorney and the user or browser.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer