Skip to main content

Should I go to the court and require supervised visitation?

Maplewood, NJ |

When I divorced, I wanted to only give my ex-husband supervised visitation because I am really concerned about my kid's well-being, but my attorney told me I could not get it. I accepted his suggestion. Now we divorced and he has visitation right for 6 hours per week.

Recently, during his visitation time, he left my 3 year old alone at the library and left. I called the policy. Depart of Child and Family is involved and I was suggested to go to the court. Hiring an attorney may not be a financially feasible solution. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks a lot! If I have to hire an attorney about it, how much I expect to pay for it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Each attorney has their own retainer requirements and hourly rate, although some still performs tasks for a flat fee. Call around and seek the best experience for the price. You may be able to consult with an attorney and get advice on what to file and what to do in court, even if you can not retain counsel

DISCLAIMER – Responding to inquiries on this site does not create an attorney client relationship between the responder and the inquirer, nor does it invoke any privilege on the part of the inquirer. The inquirer should recognize the limitations of the answers based on limited facts and is advised to seek legal counsel for more complete information and possible representation.


You need to proceed however you feel necessary in order to protect your child and insure that the child's best interests are being met. As other's have posted, costs will vary from attorney to attorney. Consult with a few to find one that you feel comfortable working with and can afford.

This post is not legal advice and does not create a confidential attorney-client relationship. It is being offered for informational purposes only. You should not relay any confidential or priviliged material in this public forum. You should not rely on this post as legal advice. In order to obtain a more comprehensive answer to your question you should consult with an attorney of your choosing.


Clearly your first instinct regarding visitation was the correct one. It is important that this incident be presented before the Court and supervised visitation be instituted immediately. As has already been stated, each attorney out there is different. You should definitely do some research and find an attorney that you feel comfortable and confident with.

The information above should not be considered to be legal advice. Rather, it is intended for educational purposes only. The information provided does not constitute a contract for legal services between any parties. Please further note that the answers given are based on the facts provided. There may be additional facts not mentioned which might change the legal issues or consequences.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer