Skip to main content

Should i go in person to tell my probation officer of a probation violation or via telephone

Austin, TX |

i am in probation in williamson county and got arrested for dwi in travis, what should i tell my robation officer, and should it be in person or via telephone. is there any chance she would not report my violation in williamson county

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Either way as long as you get it done. Best would be in person, but if difficult to get in to see her, call her. By the way, you only have 15 days to request an administrative hearing on your DWI. That is your defense attorneys first opportunity to collect evidence from the state and could also be beneficial in your probation to avoid revocation. Consult with a DWI/DUI defense attorney immediately. All is not lost. Don't give up. Good Luck

Answers provided on Avvo does not form an attorney-client relationship or indicate that the attorney represents or even will represent the client. Responses to questions are provided and based upon the facts as stated in the question. While attorneys attempt to make a complete and accurate response, there is no guaranty or warranty that the response is correct. You are encouraged to seek qualified counsel, licensed in the state(s) which have jurisdiction over the matters for advice. You are also encouraged to be careful as to your postings as the postings are not confidential.



thank you sir, that might be crucial in this particular case.

Bart Charles Craytor

Bart Charles Craytor


It is crucial in EVERY case.


In person would improve your chances of her not reporting,


In Williamson county you stand almost zero chance of it not being reported. The better question is "What will she report?" She is going to report the DWI but along with that she can report that you were up front and honest about it and told her as quickly as possible as required by your conditions of probation. She can also then report that she believes that you should be given time to resolve the DWI, assuming there is a chance you can get it dismissed, before probation takes any further action.
You need to discuss this matter with the attorney handling the DWI in Travis County. Hopefully they are experienced in Williamson County also and will be able to work both sides of this case. I have had good luck getting Williamson County probation to hold off on filing a motion to revoke probation in the past. Even if you can't get them to delay you can control how things proceed.

The most important thing I tell my clients on probation in Williamson County is to be honest with your probation office and tell them about things as quickly as possible. If you wait for your next meeting she is going to find out about it from someone else. If you call at least you are the one telling her.


I think you should hire an attorney experienced in Travis and Williamson Counties. Your attorney is the best person to notify your probation officer.

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website,

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer