Skip to main content

Should I get an attorney?

Smyrna, GA |

I was ticketed for following a car to closely. I tapped the car in front of me, no damage was done. I plead not guilty to following to closely. Will the court try to summon the witness. If the witness is summoned will they get in trouble for not showing up. Also, if they show up and they state that no damage was done to their vehicle and they are not pursuing damages will I still get charged with following to closely? Should the witness not show up or should they show up and tell the jury that their car was not damaged and they were not seeking any damages. The goal in this is to get the charges dismissed.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


You certainly should not go at this alone. Call a local attorney !

Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at www. I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


If you hit the car in front of you, then you were following too closely, or simply failing to pay attention. You may need the help of a lawyer if you want to have the ticket dismissed. In any event, you should report the incident to your insurance carrier today. The carrier will hire a lawyer to defend you against any claim for money damages.


If you plead not guilty and they schedule a trial, the prosecutor could call the other driver. If the other driver is served with a subpoena to appear, they must appear or possibly be arrested. Whether or not there was damage to the other car is irrelevant to your guilt or innocence regarding the traffic violation. You may want to hire an experienced traffic ticket attorney if you are trying to have the ticket completely dismissed.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Unless you are already a client of the Law Office of Sidney Weinstein, pursuant to an executed fee agreement, you should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. Sidney Weinstein,, (404) 522-3108.


A local traffic court lawyer can work miracles. Most traffic courts are pretty unsophisticated, and if you show up with a lawyer, more often than not, the charges get dismissed without getting into the facts, however, the lawyer will be prepared nonetheless.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


If you received this ticket in Smyrna, then you should not go to court without a lawyer unless you are going to plead guilty and pay the fine.


I do not think the extent of damages will be relevant to the charge of following too closely. You are supposed to drive in a manner so that you can stop without hitting any other object, if any vehicle in front if you stops.

I doubt there will be any jury for your ticket hearing. Usually these things are heard by a local judge. If the other party does not show up, you should ask to have the ticket dismissed for lack of prosecution. It is questionable what any officer, coming to the scene after the fact, can testify to. However, to play it a little safe, I suggest you retain counsel to represent you at any hearing.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Consult and hire a traffic ticket attorney.


You should get a defense attorney.

Answers to questions does not create an attorney/client relationship. I only am your attorney if I have entered into a written contract, signed by me, wherein I expressly assent to be your attorney. Nothing I post should be construed as legal advice to be acted upon, it is merely a legal opinion.

Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer