Skip to main content

Should I get a lawyer for my car accident?

Forsyth, GA |

I was in a car accident 6/1/12 where I was rear-ended. I have had neck and back pain since then and I have gone to the doctor and chiropractor a number of times and have gotten two prescriptions. The insurance company for the other driver has sent paperwork for me to complete but I am leery of signing anything and sending it to them.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


you should seek the services of a personal injury lawyer to assist you. first its going to be a while before you recover from the accident and dont know how well you will heal. second a lawyer can advise you on what coverages exist to assist you with medical expenses car rental expenses and what you will be required to show if coverage exists to compensate you for injuries.third the insurance company uses the services of professional adjusters that are employed to pay the least they can get away with.

without a detailed review by a lawyer can all the issues raised in your question be appropriately addressed...nothing in this response should be construed as establishing a lawyer client relationship..the answers herein are for informational purposes and not to be construed as advice


If you do not expect any further treatment, you may not need an attorney. Normally you do, but sometimes the case is not worth getting an attorney. If still treating, talk to an attorney.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.


There is no reason for you to hold off consulting with a lawyer. The fact that you were rear-ended indicates that facts may be favorable in regard to liability. It also seems that you sustained more than insignificant injuries, Retain a lawyer and let him or her guide you through the process and enhance your chances for maximum recovery. Most plaintiff's lawyers will take cases on a contingency fee basis. Most will also offer free initial consultation. Interview more than one attorney if you can.

This response is for information purpose only and does not constitute a legal advice. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Study after study shows that the average settlement with a lawyer is incredibly higher than without one. The fact that the insurer has already tried to con you is worrisome.

Hopefully you have not already hurt your legal case by talking to the insurer, as that almost always harms the case. 13 days after an accident is WAY too early to sign anything. What they are trying to do is to tempt you with a small amount befor eyou even have completed treatment and it usually will waive your rights to future damages. Remember, they already have a lawyer. Auto insurance companies are betting that you will take the first small settlement amount, if any, that they offer. They are betting that you will not know your rights or the law, will not know how to negotiate your claim, and will not hire an attorney to protect you throughout the process.

If you don't believe me, see a shocking CNN expose, “Insurance Companies Fight Paying Billions in Claims,” Anderson Cooper 360 investigated how insurance companies get out of paying accident victims billions of dollars by tricking them into not seeking counsel.

Do not send them anything, stop all conversation with them, and see a lawyer. There is no cost unless you win.

My office offers a free consultation if you have not located counsel (404-768-3509).

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you. Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


Your first priority is your health and getting the treatment you need to get better. Also, until you know the extent of your injuries you won't know the value of your claim. You will probably find the insurance company to be very difficult to deal with unless you are willing to take far less than the value of your claim. I wouldn't sign anything and would talk to an attorney once your treatment is close to being over. My partner and I worked for insurance companies a combined 29 years before switching sides and representing injured people like you. We're in Macon, so call us if you'd like to talk more about it. 478-254-3606.


When selecting your attorney you should consider who is best to represent not only your legal claim(s), but if the attorney can help you obtain medical attention. Many of my clients lack health insurance, and therefor have difficulty finding doctors to treat them. I work with an extensive network of medical providers who agree to be paid after the case settles or judgment is obtained. This way my clients receive the needed medical attention but do not pay until their case is over. I've found this to be extremely popular even with clients who have existing health insurance.

-- ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGED; DO NOT FORWARD OR DISCLOSE WITHOUT EXPRESS PERMISSION. Communications from attorneys and their employees are confidential and may not be forwarded or disclosed without the sender's express permission. There is no intent on the part of the sender to waive any privilege, including the attorney-client privilege, that may attach to this communication. Further, anything you believe to be tax advice in this communication, including attachments, cannot be used to avoid penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, nor does it promote, market, or recommend any transaction or tax-related matter. The Marks Law Group does not give tax advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer