Should I get a lawyer

Murray, KY |

on December 10, i was a passenger of a rear end collision. I received a head injury where i am still having headaches. when it comes to the two insurance they are jumping back and forth for who to pay for my medical bills. Its been about four months and still no help, and to make things harder i was a way for school.

Yes. An attorney can help you. The insurance companies will likely give you the runaround until you hire one. Find a lawyer on AVVO.

Kentucky and Florida Licensed. This answer does not create a legal relationship.

Kevin H. Pate

Kevin H. Pate

Asker, I agree. The adjusters have no strong incentive to make things simple for you instead of wearing you down to a minimal settlement just to be done with them. Engage counsel to protect your interests.

Daniel Lee O'Neil

Daniel Lee O'Neil

Excellent response

Yes. Get a free consultation from several, and then choose one.

Kevin H. Pate

Kevin H. Pate

Absolutely agree. Asker, you can use the find a lawyer feature here at Avvo or Google or Bing or other search provider of your choice. You can use your telephone directory or ask friends and coworkers for a recommendation.

Charles P. Ward

Charles P. Ward

Sound advise. Most personal injury attorneys will offer a free consultation to gather the facts and analyze the case.

Daniel Lee O'Neil

Daniel Lee O'Neil

Excellent response

Yes, you should talk to an attorney right away. Without one, you'll be doing a huge favor to the insurance companies and a gross disservice to yourself. You can get a fine attorney to handle your case on a contingency fee basis, so it won't cost you anything out of pocket.

This response is based on limited information. It is not meant as and does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Daniel Lee O'Neil

Daniel Lee O'Neil

Excellent response

Charles P. Ward

Charles P. Ward

How true.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Without a doubt you should hire an attorney and continue to seek medical attention for your injuries. I am assuming you were in the car that was rear ended. In most states there is a presumption of negligence on the driver who rear-ends the other. Although I am unfamiliar with the law in KY, in a case like yours in WI where there is clear liability an attorney would be able to demand payment of the "sum-certain" (absolute and undisputed) amounts and if the insurance company refuses payment, you would be entitled to interest at a rate of 12% per year on the amount of your demand.. Again I'm not sure how KY law works, but this is another reason why you need to contact a local attorney ASAP. He/she will know all of the ways to get you every single penny that you rightfully deserve. Good luck.

Daniel Lee O'Neil

Daniel Lee O'Neil

Excellent response

Yes, I would strongly encourage you to contact a lawyer. A head injury is a serious matter. An attorney can investigate the available liability insurance as well as any additional insurance, and help you coordinate payment of the medical bills. Good luck.

Daniel Lee O'Neil

Daniel Lee O'Neil

Excellent response

Bradley D. Harville

Bradley D. Harville

Thank you!

Yes, since the insurance companies are giving you a hard time (to phrase it politely), you need to get a lawyer to straighten the situation out. Plus, there will likely be a liability claim. Meanwhile you certainly need help for your head injury and you need to stay in school. I hope remedial English is part of your program.

Daniel Lee O'Neil

Daniel Lee O'Neil

Excellent response

Of course you should. You have a potential claim for damages against both insurance companies. I don't know if KY has the equivalent of MA no-fault PIP coverage for your meds, or if either vehicle has applicable med pay, but one or both insurers should be responsible not only for any un-covered meds, but also for pain, suffering, lost earning capacity, etc. I'll be the other 12 posts, which I haven't read yet, say much the same thing. Now I'll go and punch the "agree" button on most or all of them!!

The foregoing answer does not establish an attorney client relationship, is not confidential, and should not be relied upon in place of an actual consultation with an attorney. Mr. Boone is licensed to practice in Massachusetts, before the U.S. Tax Court, and the Federal District Court of Massachusetts. Most initial consultations are free. Further information is available on my profile.

Jefferson W. Boone

Jefferson W. Boone

Yup. Everybody recommends seeing a lawyer, even though five of the answers so far are from out of state lawyers who have nothing to gain here or, as my grand pappy from Georgia would have said, "No dog in this fight".

Yes, Yes, and again yes. You have a claim for injuries and there are a number of different ways to go about having the insurance companies compensate you for your loss. KY does have no-fault PIP coverage so you need to contact an attorney to make sure you get the money that you deserve.

Daniel Lee O'Neil

Daniel Lee O'Neil

Excellent response

The best plan is to hire a lawyer, in my opinion, in this situation

This information is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice. By responding to this question, I am not intending to form any lawyer-client relationship whatsoever.

Daniel Lee O'Neil

Daniel Lee O'Neil

Excellent response

*You should seek the advise of a personal injury attorney. Your main concern at this time should be your health. Your attorney should be your voice in the matter.

*This information should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

Daniel Lee O'Neil

Daniel Lee O'Neil

Excellent response

Try to get your own health insurance (if you have any) (or Medicaid or Medicare if you have that) to pay for your medical bills first. In the meantime, consult with a personal injury attorney in Kentucky.