Skip to main content

Should I find an attorney emphasizing in labor laws? What steps can I take now?

Boise, ID |

I was recently discharged through no fault of my own. There were instances of harassment, however, that is not my focus. I worked approximately 65 hours outside of work, on Oct. 3-13 and Dec. 14-15, on work training material that was mandatory, however, needed to be done at home. I have researched state and federal laws regarding pay for those hours (considering them to be work needing pay), however the managers refused to sign my request form for that pay to be accessible to me within 48 hours. Also, the managers refused to sign my request for my final paycheck to be sent within 48 hours. I need to know what steps I can take after being fired for no fault of my own. According to Idaho law, the company is not allowed to refuse; if so, penalties will be assigned accordingly. What can I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Idaho is an "employment-as-will" state, meaning (except for a very few limited situations) an employee can be terminated for any reason or none at all. Whether there will be eligibility for unemployment insurance benefits is a completely separate issue, as is your entitlement to pay for training. A complaint to the Idaho Department of Labor would be appropriate in that regard, and your application for unemployment benefits would be filed at the same office.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.



Thank you, very much. I have been discussing issues with HR, and I feel that I am very much being cheated and am planning on going to the Department of Labor on Monday. Thank you, Paula!