Skip to main content

Should I file affidavits and/or family photos to support the I-130 form if we have the other official documents? Is it overkill?

Walla Walla, WA |

we have marriage certificate, our child's birth certificate, documents of financial co-mingling, lease showing joint tenancy, etc. I'm a US citizen and my wife is Canadian.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

You are required to file photocopies of the vital statistic-type documents such as birth and marriage certificates with the application. If you wife is already in the U.S. and applying for adjustment of status, then be prepared with copies of the co-mingling of funds, etc. to present to the officer at the time of the interview. At that time, you can simply bring the original photo album to show them. If she is not already in the U.S. and is consular processing for the visa, then, yes, include color photocopies of photos, especially with other family members, and write the date and who's in them on the paper. Two or three letters is always good.

This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case. This reply does not create an attorney/client relationship.


The form instructions tell you what is required.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Nothing is an overkill when it comes to USCIS.It is better to overkill than underkill. With that said, you do not want to submit potentially damaging information either. DO see an immigration attorney to review your file before you submit anything.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Do your best to prove bona fide marriage. I think there is no such thing as "overkill" when it comes to proving good faith marriage. You definitely must file marriage certificate and child's birth certificate.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer