Should I file a lawsuit for defamation of character?

Springfield, MA |

I received email advertising a website. I asked to be removed from their list but kept getting email from different addresses for the same site. I finally looked at the website and it appeared to be an escort website with possible child prostitution. I reported this to the FBI tipline and sent another email asking to be removed from future email. The person who responded threatened to contact my parents and employer. He did call my parents twice in the middle of the night and told them I was downloading child pornography (completely untrue). I believe he has contacted other family members by phone or email and possibly my employer because he wrote emails showing he had such information.

You should report it to the police. You may also have a civil action.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

Hi,

Surely this would be at least an harassment claim. But if this person is overseas somewhere good luck finding them. So a lot depends on where they are and whether you could get them into court.

You should report it to the police of course as there sounds like certain illegal acts here in general. In some states this degree of SPAM is a felony all on its own without even considering the possibly illegal content.

All the best,
Frank
Natoli-Lapin, LLC
(see Disclaimer)

The law firm of Natoli-Lapin, LLC (Home of Lantern Legal Services) offers our flat-rate legal services in the areas of business law and intellectual property to entrepreneurs, small-to-medium size businesses, independent inventors and artists across the nation and abroad. Feel free to call for a free phone consultation; your inquiries are always welcome: CONTACT: 866-871-8655 Support@LanternLegal.com DISCLAIMER: this is not intended to be specific legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. No attorney-client relationship is formed on the basis of this posting.

You should definitely report it to the police. They may want some of the routing information from your emails, though it may all be faked or sent via a circuitous route. A civil action probably won't help you that much, unless they are located in Massachusetts. Good luck!

In my experience, the police will be no help unless you have threatened with physical harm.

Finding the person to go after on the Internet is never easy, and often leads you offshore where prosecuting them is impossible.

Further, suing someone is an expensive propisition, and even if you win, collecting on the law suit is problematic.

My best advice is to show this post (especially to your employer) to those people you feel have heard about your activities. They will then know you are the victim and not some pediphile.

Andrew M. Jaffe
Attorney at Law
(330) 666-5026
attorneyjaffe@aol.com
www.netlaws.us

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.