Should i fight this case of my car accident?

Oxnard, CA |

I was in a car accident about a year ago i was coming out from a stop turning left. the street was a school zone and was a curved street which made it a little hard to see cars coming . i remember checking and there was no cars as i began to go i went slowly just in case there was a car coming. a car hit me i did see it but it was coming too fast. the driver was under the influence of marijuana and speeding. there was two witnesses that were driving in back of him. they stopped and told the police how it happened. unfortunately i blacked out so i don't remember much the one who was awake throughout the whole thing was my sister ..i don't know if to fight this case or not cause the car had no insurance . they are now billing us 12000.

First of all, who is billing you "12000"? Secondly, do you happen to have uninsured motorist coverage with your car insurance carrier? Because, if so, that could be an alternative way for you to get compensation.

But, back to your question, I'm assuming that by "fight this case" you mean sue the other driver. Assuming my interpretation of your post is correct, then there are several different factors that one should consider when deciding whether or not to sue an at-fault uninsured driver. One of the most important factors--if not the most important--is whether the other driver has an assets (e.g., money, real property, etc.) or is employed so that you could, possibly garnish their wages, in the event that you are successful in a lawsuit against them.

thank you for answering my question, Allstate insurance company is billing us for the $12,000 ..no we don't have uninsured motorist coverage :/. and about the other driver i really don't know.

If they hit you and the police report shows them to be at fault, they have no cause of action. You don't mention any injuries other than blacking out. Get the police report and take it to a lawyer for advice.

View my website & give me a call for a FREE consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com www.KingofPersonalInjuryLaw.com I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

You may have partial fault for the accident due to California Vehicle Code 23152 which prohibits turning left without first yielding the right of way. The other driver is at fault as well, however, if he was under the influence and there is evidence to that effect. Use this argument to try to negotiate a settlement.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery. Any testimonials or endorsements should not be construed as a guarantee, warranty or prediction of the outcome of your case.

YOU NEED TO HIRE A P.I. ATTORNEY TO ADVISE YOU. THE FACT THAT YOU BLACKED OUT INDICATES THAT YOU HAD A SERIOUS CONCUSSION. HAVE A DOCTOR EXAMINE YOU AND GET TREATED. BETTER BE SAFE THAN SORRY. BEST OF LUCK..

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

Turn the bills over to your insurance company to resolve. That's why you have insurance.

When someone is injured in a motor vehicle accident (especially a "rear ender" which means liability is pretty much a given...And it is not the one who gets rear ended), he or she should get immediate medical attention. Then, hire a personal injury attorney. If the accident is not a rear-ender an attorney will help determine who was at fault.

When someone is injured, he or she should only be concerned with getting better, attending doctor visits, attending physical therapy, etc. The lawyer will handle the rest... Figuring out who to sue, whether insurance covers the accident, whose insurance should cover, etc.

Fortunately, most of us personal injury types offer free consultations and take such cases on contingency, so there is nothing to fear in calling us.

- Paul

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D.
Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker
Fransen & Molinaro, LLP
980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206
Corona, CA 92879
(951)520-9684
www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com

"When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW."

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.
** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D. ... Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker... Fransen & Molinaro, LLP... 980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206... Corona, CA 92879... (951)520-9684... www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com... "When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW." ... * This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy... ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

Paul J Molinaro

Paul J Molinaro

And to add a comment to my comment... $12,000 is a lot of money and blacking out implies physical trauma/injury. - Paul Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D. Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker Fransen & Molinaro, LLP 980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206 Corona, CA 92879 (951)520-9684 www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com "When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW." * This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy. ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

I encourage you to file a claim with your insurer and allow them to defend you in the matter. If you are uninsured, contact an attorney immediately and do not communicate with the parties further.

M. Todd Miller
Law Office of Todd Miller, LLC
1305 Southwest Blvd., Ste. A
Jefferson City, Missouri 65109
Web: www.toddmillerlaw.com
Phone: (573) 634-2838
Fax: (573) 634-7642
Email: info@toddmillerlaw.com

"Personal attention - Professional Results"
* This post and all others made on the internet are for informational purposes only. Nothing posted should be considered legal advice nor should any comments, answers, or other communications be suggested or assumed to create or constitute an attorney-client relationship. Accuracy of this information is sought but not guaranteed.
** the Law Office of Todd Miller, LLC is a general practice law firm.

NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-client relationship and messages containing confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent.