Skip to main content

Should I dispute this ticket in court? My wife was in a car accident last thursday. Hydroplaned off of the road.

New Cumberland, PA |

She was not driving too fast for conditions. The car swerved to the right and collided with a curb. This resulted in a damaged front A-arm on the passenger side. There were no other vehicles involved in the accident and no one was injured. Police were already in the area attending to another accident. Tow truck picked up the car and the police gave my wife and three kids a ride home. The next day, Officer called to inform my wife that he would be mailing her a ticket as soon as he figured out what he was going to charge her with. Ticket came yesterday by certified mail and reads:
"defendent traveled outside her lane of travel without safety causing a collision" Ticket is broken down as follows: Fine-25.00,EMS-10.00,MCARE-30.00,Cost: 40.10,JCP/ATJ-10.00 total:115.10

Should i dispute?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


As I am not licensed in your state, I cannot offer you specific legal advice as to Pennsylvania state law. However, if you do not fight this ticket, you may find that your insurance premiums may increase should your wife be convicted. If the cop issuing the ticket is not an actual eyewitness, what could he offer as testimony as to your wife traveling "without safety"? It is up to the state to prove all of the elements of the charge.

You may wish to consider hiring an attorney in your area who handles traffic court matters.


An attorney familiar with the policies and procedures of the court will know the likelihood of negotiating such a resolution given the circumstances of your case.

Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer