Skip to main content

Should I dispute the divorce petition

Ozark, MO |

If I do not dispute what my spouse has swore to in the divorce petition can I bring my proof that the allegations are false to divorce court? and what if any will be my chances of a Judge taking them into consideration?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You should hire a local attorney to represent you. If your spouse has counsel and you don't you will probably get hosed.

My comments are general in nature, are not legal advice as to your specific issue, and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. Disregard this solicitation if you have already engaged a lawyer in connection with the legal matter referred to in this solicitation. You may wish to consult your lawyer or another lawyer instead of me. The exact nature of your legal situation will depend on many facts not known to me at this time. You should understand that the advice and information in this solicitation is general and that your own situation may vary. This statement is required by rule of the Supreme Court of Missouri.


Without a lawyer on your side you will surely be outlawyered by your opponent so use Avvo Find a Lawyer tool


You can bring evidence to court, but you can also perform surgery on yourself. It is a very dangerous option for a non-attorney, because you can't present evidence if you don't know the rules of evidence and civil procedure. Furthermore, if you haven't answered you are a party in default. In Missouri, as a defaulting party, they don't even have to inform you of the trial date. Get counsel if at all possible. If not, at least go to SelfRepresent.Mo.Gov to learn how to file a basic Answer and stay out of default.

This advice is based upon limited and hypothetical circumstances. For an answer that is specific to your situation, please consult an attorney. The answering of this question does not create an attorney/client relationship, and the poster should seek additional information from qualified legal counsel. Many attorneys, like ours, offer no-cost consultations.