Skip to main content

Should I continue car payment for car that is under accident investigation?

Miami, FL |

my car was borrowed by a family member and they were involved in a deadly car accident, I have tried numerous times to get in contact with the detective in charge of the case to get an approximate date of vehicle recovery, but I never get an answer, the vehicle is a least car that belongs to the car delearship

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Stop into the police station to get a time frame.


If there was a deadly car accident you might have or need a personal injury attorney. Have them call the police station to figure it out. You should also contact your insurance company to let them know about the accident.

Kentucky and Florida Licensed. Free consultations. 502-424-2016. Follow me on twitter: @trackmylawyer. This answer does not create a legal relationship.


If the car is a leased vehicle, then you must have coverage in place. or your leasing company will purchase coverage for you. I would suggest you call your insurance agent and leasing company , and tell them that you currently do not have possession of your car, although I doubt that will make a difference.

Make sure you do not discuss the details of the accident with anyone.


I believe you should continue your lease payment until it gets straightened out. You need to talk to the leasing company. If the car is totaled, your insurance company may pay the rest of the lease value minus salvage. I am sure this is not the first time this has happened. The police may tie the vehicle up for quite some time. You need to all the players involved.


Regardless of who is at fault for the accident your obligation for the lease is based on a contract you entered into with the lease company. Your obligation will likely continue depending on the language in your contract.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer