Skip to main content

Should I contest or not contest my divorce on my information sheet?

Frederick, MD |

My husband filed for divorce in Maryland and I'm working on submitting an answer and am now filling out my information report and am wanting to know should I check the box saying the case is contested or uncontested ?
I do not agree with one of the counts for the divorce which is that I abandoned him and would like my husband to give me some monetary marital property
If I do contest it will I have to hire an attorney if he doesn't want to cooperate or could I just drop it and the divorce will go through anyway?
Thanks for your help

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you don't agree with any of the terms that your husband has asked the Court to order, then that means the case is contested.

You should really consult in private with an attorney in your area if you're going through a divorce. There's no way the internet can be an adequate substitute.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin<br> Bodzin Donnelly Mockrin & Slavin, LLP<br> 2029 SE Jefferson Street, Suite 101, Milwaukie, OR 97222<br> <br> Telephone: 503-227-0965<br> Facsimile: 503-345-0926<br> Email:<br> Online:


If you disagree with anything in your husband's Complaint, then you have a contested divorce. Not only should you file an Answer, but you should also file your own Counter-Complaint. Simply stated, your Answer is to respond to what your husband wants out of the divorce, whereas, your Counter-Complaint is where you place all the things you want out of the divorce.

No, you do not have to have an attorney represent you, but it would probably be wise to do so. I recommend you at least consult with an attorney to receive guidance on the basics to help you avoid making any really serious mistakes in your divorce. If you do not consult with an attorney at all, then you will be unsure if you really have covered all the legal bases in this legal case.

If you do not contest his Complaint, then the divorce will go to a default judgment and he will probably get what he is asking for, and you would not get whatever you could have asked for.

This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and does NOT establish an Attorney/Client Relationship with you. Therefore my answer cannot address your specific legal situation and you should not rely upon my answer in your legal matter. I am an attorney licensed in Maryland and California.


I believe you asked this earlier. Contest that with which don't agree and maybe getting an attorney would be a good idea

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.