Skip to main content

Should I be enrolled in school to get J1visa?

Chicago, IL |

I am completing my OPT in July(I got bachelor's degree). can I change my status from F1 to J1? Should I be enrolled in school to get J1 or it is not the main requirement?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


To change status, you must be in valid status and meet all the requirements for the new status you seek.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


There are many types of people who can get j-1. A student is only one such type.


You should speak with an immigration attorney to discuss whether you are eligible to seek a J-1 status and if so, what requirements you need to fulfill to apply for a change of status.

Akanksha Kalra, Attorney at Law: 215-542-4905 or Disclaimer: The information provided here is generalized and should not be relied upon as legal advice. This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.


You should contact an immigration attorney, experienced with J1 visas for a detailed consultation and soon.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.