Skip to main content

Should i apply for EAD now or Wait till Primary Visa Holder's Visa is extended?

Minneapolis, MN |

L1 visa expiry date - July 2013
L2 visa expiry date - July 2013
L1 I94 expiry date - May 2016
L2 I94 expiry date - Feb 2016
I am not sure if I apply for EAD now , its validity would be tied to my husband's visa expiry date or the I94 expiry date? Please advise.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You can apply if you are maintaining your L-2 status.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.


You should ask the company's immigration attorney ... not some non-attorney in HR.

He/she has access to the paperwork, we don't.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


As long as your I-94 is valid, you can apply for a new EAD.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


You can apply but they will not issue the EAD to you until the decision on the L1 extension is made.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Hello. As stated, it appears that you may apply, but there are caveats. Your posts raises questions that need to be answered. I urge you to confer privately with an attorney for legal advice. All the best.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq., Immigration Law, Rule 114 Qualified Neutral, Minnesota Supreme Court Roster, Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC, Phone: 612.296-9666.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer