Skip to main content

Should I add a creditor to my Ch. 7 Bankruptcy creditor matrix?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

Ch. 7 Bankruptcy - My creditor's meeting is in 5 days, and I just figured out that one of my creditor's (a utility company) closed my previous account, refunding my deposit, and issued me a new account number, which requires a new deposit. I believe they did this to avoid having to discharge my balance under the old account number. Should I file an amendment to add this new account to my creditor matrix or might this be ineffective? (I filed pro se.)

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

If the utility held a deposit greater than your last statement then that utility was a secured claimant and now has satisfied its claim. There would be Mo point to amending.

Posting questions anonymously and receiving general answers do not substitute for consulting with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction in which you live. Answers posted here by Kevin C Gleason are only intended for general education of the public on legal matters. Please consult a qualified professional before deciding what to do about your situation.


You don't tell us whether this happened before or after you filed, but utilities are generally allowed to take the deposit in a Bankruptcy case, and Bankruptcy law specifically allows them to request a deposit even if they did not have one before.


You can amend the bankruptcy schedules to add a creditor. Provide a copy of the notice of bankruptcy to the creditor. The clerk will charge a $30 filling fee unless you qualified for the filing of the bankruptcy without fee..

Jeffrey Solomon
Law Office of Jeffrey Solomon
3864 Sheridan St.
Hollywood, FL 33021
Ph: (954) 967-9800
Fax: (954) 963-2227

The questions and answers posted on AVVO are for general information and should not be treated as legal advice or establishing an attorney-client relationship.


If you are asking about adding your old account number, then yes, you should add them. The additional filing fee my colleague mentioned will apply. If you are talking about your new account number, then no I don't think you need to add them, assuming the closing of your old account and opening a new account occurred after you filed bankruptcy. I disagree with you about their reason for closing your old account and opening the new one. I think they did it so that they can write off the old balance owed and still keep you on as a customer. Their accounting department has likely determined they are less likely to violate the bk rules if they close the old account, write off the old balance due to your filing bk and zero it out than if they try to keep the same account number and juggle the accounting into a prefiling write off and a new post filing account balance.

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended as a general discussion of legal issues and not as a statement of fact, legal advice or a legal opinion. No attorney-client relationship is created by this message. Do not act or rely upon law-related information in this communication without seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in the relevant area. I am a Federally Designated Debt Relief Agency under the United States Bankruptcy Code. I proudly help people in financial need file bankruptcy cases. IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (or in any attachment) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed in this communication (or in any attachment).


I agree with my colleagues. You can amend the Schedules and pay the additional fee.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer