Skip to main content

Should first names on i-130, i-485, i-864 be capitalized?

Washington, DC |

Form i-130 specifies "(Family name in CAPS)" on page 1. However, the instructions of i-864 specify "Print clearly or type your answers using CAPITAL letters." So, if my name is John Doe, would I consistently write:
DOE JOHN (which i-864 seems to ask for)
DOE John (which i-130 seems to ask for)
Or, should I write DOE JOHN on the i-864 but DOE John on the i-130?
Is this the kind of thing that I really don't need to worry about?

Thank you very much!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

On a scale of 1-10, this is a 1, the least of your worries :)

I would just be consistent with whatever you choose.

Disclaimer: This answer is for informational purposes and does not take the place of a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.


"DOE, John" is the form that USCIS prefers.

Jennifer Wang, esq. Tel. 617.221.3030 The information contained in this message and any attachments to this message are intended as opinion and not legal advice.


I agree with my colleague.

This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions. Gen Kimura, (832) 247-6932.


DOE, John, and I wouldn't worry TOO much. Good luck!


That is entirely up to you.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer