Skip to main content

Should a Cuban national that arrived in the U.S. in 1966 file a I-485 under "Registry" or the "Native of Cuba" type?

Rosemead, CA |

My original I-94 was taken by the immigration officer when processing my new one. A new I-94 (two year) was granted in 2011. I have a copy of my original showing my entry date in 1966. I was never inspected.
My new I-94 has just expired. I submitted my I-485 last month prior to the I-94 expiration with no fees (I was told by the USCIS that as a Cuban, no fee was required) and it was returned to me for not including the proper fees. While I resubmit my I-485, do I need to have my I-94 extended (can I?) or will the I-485 allow me to stay here legally.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You are eligible for both benefits, but Cuban Adjustment is probably easier.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


Cuban adjustment.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.