Skip to main content

Should a Canadian citizen file for extension of stay or go back after six months?

San Antonio, TX |

I am a Canadian citizen and on a B2 status here. The stamp on my passport says Admitted until 30th January, 2014. My husband is on H1b visa here. We are applying for his permanent residency in Canada. We don't want to stay away from each other and will move back to Canada when he gets his PR there. My question is if it is wiser to apply for my B2 visa extension or go to Canada and come back to get a new B2? Please advise. If I apply for extension, how many months they will give me?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If you are on a B2 visa, you can seek an extension.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.


You may apply for an extension of stay in the U.S. The usual time given is 6 mos.

The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It should not be relied upon in making legal decisions or assessing your legal rights or risks. Neither does the herein reply create an attorney-client relationship.


Can apply for extension of stay. If approved, will obtain 6 additional months.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


You may apply for an extension if you qualify. Usually, 6 months.

Angelique Montes, Esq., Immigration Attorney of Montes Law Firm, PLLC in Houston, Texas. This is not legal advice and a client-attorney relationship is not created. The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.