Shouild i get another public defender ?all advice please

El Dorado, CA |

im going to trial on a criminal case ive constantly been asking for my case file so i can review it. i recently went to court and it seem like nothing has changed. mt public defender doesnt seem to be trying to help me at al i go to court in june starting trial.please any one who could possibly help me i would appriciate it. i need a good but very low cost attorney please

Your question, at least as worded in the beginning, seemed to be focused on how to go about changing your public defender to another public defender. Although I'm not licensed in your state and may therefore be off base, I believe your chances of getting a different PD are slim and none. You are certainly within your rights to substitute private counsel for the PD. This will apparently require you to "put your thinking-cap on". Closely consider all potential financial resources available to you directly or through friends and family. Interview local criminal defense attorneys to see what they see as your available options and to investigate legal fees required and whether any will entertain some form of an installment arrangement. Legal fees may vary considerably within a single legal community so shop around. Most here will provide you with a free consultation, so get to work. The solution you seek will not magically appear to you on the Internet. Start looking now while you await responses here from local lawyers. This website has a fine lawyer search function. Good luck.

I agree with Mr. Jones. Many reputable attorneys offer a free consulation. I suggest meeting with many. They're free consultations so what do you have to lose.

www.YourCriminalDefenseLawyer.com
(800) 409-7010

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

Possessed of insufficient knowledge of the geography of your huge state, I do not know whether Mr. Cernyar is a logical option for you in El Dorado. If it is, then I would suggest that you have a starting point for your investigation.

Michael Kevin Cernyar

Michael Kevin Cernyar

I have no idea where El Dorado is, but I've been informed it's near Sacramento. I'm in the Los Angeles area.

Michael Kevin Cernyar

Michael Kevin Cernyar

And thank you.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

That helps but not a whole lot. I've, of course, heard of both cities and I've even been to Los Angeles, but whether they a 2 hours or 20 hors apart I haven't the slightest idea. Btw, you are welcome.

Joseph Salvatore Farina

Joseph Salvatore Farina

Los Angeles County is approximately 8 hours from El Dorado County, so I oubt Mr, Ceynar would be a good choice due to distance.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

Thanks

Michael Kevin Cernyar

Michael Kevin Cernyar

I somewhat agree with Mr. Farina in this matter, although I have represented many individuals outside of the Los Angeles area including courts in Auburn, Sacramento, South Lake Tahoe, San Francisco, Modesto, Merced, Fresno, San Luis Obispo, Needles, Barstow, Murrietta and San Diego, along with many cities outside the state.

My answer to you is that the very low cost attorney that you have is the public defender. Many public defenders have very high caseloads, often in the hundreds for misdemeanors, and they are in trial frequently. If you want more service, such as more client meetings, the attorney's cell phone number, the opportunity to strategize with the attorney, then you will probably have to hire private counsel. As has been pointed out to you, most offer free consultations. Some will accept a payment plan but be advised that in order for a private attorney to shut down his or her practice for four or five days to do your jury trial takes some doing and there are costs associated with this. If you determine you cannot hire private counsel, you may try asking for a different public defender, however it is the office which is appointed and it will be up to them unless you get a Marsden hearing granted, which is a fairly high standard for you to meet based on incompetence.

Sorry but the low cost attorney is called the public defender's office. No attorney in their right mind is going to take a case to trial without a substantial retainer. What could possibly be the incentive to work for next to nothing unless the attorney isn't really busy and has nothing else to do? Or is brand new and needs trial experience. And as for payment plans, if you don't get your money up front, you will never see it.

The information and legal suggestions made herein do not in any way create an attorney-client relationship. The responses provided herein discuss general principles of law and should not be relied upon by the asker in making legal decisions. Only an attorney who has met with the asker and fully reviewed the facts and circumstances of the asker's individual case should be relied upon for legal advice. If you find my suggestions helpful, please mark the appropriate box as helpful.

You do not have your choice of counsel if you have accepted the public defender's assistance. Do not presume, however, that because your attorney is not chatty and hand-holding that he/she is not working diligently in your behalf. If you decide to bolt from those experienced attorneys and seek private counsel, beware that you often get what you pay for, so if you seek cheap, that's the quality work you likely will receive.

If you cannot afford a private attorney, your public defender is your attorney. You can't simply "get" another PD because you do not like how she/he is handling your case. Try to work with with your attorney.

When I was a public defender I was always concerned that my clients might feel as though I wasn't advocating for them. It was hard to convey to them how much I was doing for them behind the scenes and how much my day to day experience counted towards helping them. Your public defender is likely a very good attorney, but one who is also very busy. I would suggest making numerous efforts to talk with and MEET WITH IN PERSON the attorney so they will make the time to know who you are and to determine just what it is that you want. You have to make a bit more of an effort to make yourself available to help them help you. You should also know how slow court proceedings can move. That things don't seem to be changing can be very frustrating, but unfortunately, it is the nature of the beast.
If you repeatedly try to speak to your attorney and he/she does not respond, you might try to contact their supervisor.