Skip to main content

Short sale - renting to seller

Schaumburg, IL |

I am purchasing some property in a short sale. The Affidavit says that I cannot rent to seller. The loan is only in the wife's name, can I lease the property to the husband and make him tenant? I don't want to do anything illegal.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3




It depends, and what affidavit are you talking about? Recently a program called "SSLB" (Short Sale LeaseBack) has popped up -- there is actually a "Realtor" certification for it, and some lenders have hopped on board. Normally a "leaseback" in this kind of situation is presumed to be some kind of scam, so the program has multiple prerequisites and could allow the former seller to remain in the home up to 3 years. Ask your broker and if he or she is NOT aware of it, have your attorney get involved if you think the sellers are simply in a pickle and will be able to handle the rent.... Otherwise if the exiting lender WON'T allow it, you can try discussing it with them, but you may be out of luck and if you do rent to someone who is related to the borrower (ie the wife), you could be in trouble.


Without reviewing the affidavit, it is impossible to answer your question. I would say that lenders have seen most of the tricks (not that what you are proposing is a trick), so trying to bend the rules may go badly for you. Your best bet is to hire a real estate attorney to guide you through the transaction--and keep you out of trouble. Good luck.

For more information: By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer