Skip to main content

Shoplifting Plead Guilty, First Offense

Bayville, NJ |

In October I was caught shoplifting $114 of merchandise from Macy's. The cops came but I was not arrested. I went to court, and plead guilty. I received a fine and 60 hours community service. This was my first offense ever, will it be on y record?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Yes. You should try to set aside your plea and sentence. Hire an attorney in your area.

This content is informational only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.


Ordinarily, shoplifitng is a disorderly persons offense if the amount stolen is retail under $200.00, as it is here. If this was plead to a lesser charge, such as a city ordinance, it will still remain on your record. You have not been convicted of a felony on a first offense.

If you wish to expunge this charge, or remove it from your record, you have to wait a period of time based on what you plead to. Disorderly person offense is five years and city ordinance is two years. You can expunge your record with the assistance of a criminal defense attorney.

The maximum penalty for a disorderly persons offense is 6 months in jail and $1,000.00 fine. You were fortunate being able to plea and not recieve jail time. Hope this has been helpful.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented.


I agree with my colleagues that you should talk to an attorney about reopening your case and exploring your options. If that fails, most states allow expungement of low level convictions after the passage of a certain time and satisfaction of certain conditions. The lawyer you talk to can explain if that is an option. Good luck.

I have been licensed to practice in the State of Oregon since 1990. I am not offering legal advice regarding your question, only general information regarding the law. You are not my client nor am I your attorney unless we sign a retainer agreement.


Yes. It will be on your record and you should reopen the case with an attorney.

This message does not constitute legal advice and is for informational purposes only. This message does not establish an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established once a retainer agreement has been fully executed between you and this firm.


Yews both the arrest and conviction are on your record. You can expunge 5 years after you finish the community service.


Yes. If you went to court and pled guilty you have a conviction for shoplifting on your record. If you are not convicted of any other offenses, you will be able to expunge the arrest and conviction in five years.