Skip to main content

Shoplifting amended to Township Ordinance. Will this affect my N-400 Application? Got Interviewed at Santa Ana, CA - 2 days ago.

Santa Ana, CA |

Dec 2009, Shoplifting case - Woodbridge, NJ

On the court day, after meeting with a prosecutor, the lawyer told me I can either go to a trial or pleadge guilty to the township Ordinance 3-30.1 (prohebited act). My lawyer said this is a small charge like forgeting to cut the lawn. So I plead guilty to the Township Ordinance and pay the fine of $756. From the court transcript:
Judge: Sir, you're getting a bit of the benefit of the doubt today from the state, based upon the attendent facts and circumstances surrounding this matter
Judge: You are pleading guilty because you were acting generally in a disorderly manner and otherwise breaching the peace

Jan 07, 2013 - Santa Ana, CA - After the interview, Immigration Officer said the supervisor will look at this . If N-400 denied, what I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It all depends weather what you plead guilty to is crime or not. It seems like a it's a small regulatory offense, and probably a violation. I 'd say you should be ok.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova


It depends: assuming you are not on probation, and assuming it is not a crime of moral turpitude, you should be fine. Get a consult from a local immigration attorney.


To qualify for naturalization you need to show good moral character for the last 5 years. Even if you were not convicted for shoplifting, if anywhere in the record you admitted to the elements of the crime immigration could use that to make a determination on your moral character. Probably that's the reason they are still looking at it, to see if anywhere on the record appears an admission.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer