Shoplift but didn't get arrested but cops were called do i have a record?

Orlando, FL |

i also paid my civil fine to the store of 200 dollars, i dont know if i have to go to court or anything?

Best Answer

If you were not arrested, as of right now you have no record. The police may forward the case to the State attorney for prosecution at a later date or they may have decided with the stores cooperation that payment of the civil fine was sufficient. The State, assuming the value of the items was less than $300 and you have no prior thefts, can file charges within 1 year pursuant to the Statute of Limitations. Good luck.

You do not have a criminal arrest record per se. But likely the police filled out a FIR which is a record in their files. Also, if they file the report with the State Attorney's office, you could get charged and brought to court via a warrant or a summons to appear. Call a lawyer to contact the prosecutor's office to see if they have opened a case on you. The lawyer can check and see if the state has a charge and if they intend on filing on it. good luck!

If charges are filed, a warrant will issue and you will be arrested, or a summons will issue instructing you to come to court. At this time, you do not have a record nor charges but that does not mean that charges will not be filed.

As far as the civil fine, that is a separate situation. It does not matter that you paid (or if you refused to pay) the civil fine (although I guess that if a prosecutor is aware that you paid and you cooperated fully and the amount stolen was little then you could get a bit of the pity factor regarding charges.)

Good luck!