Skip to main content

She bought the farm 4 years ago.we were not married yet so I didn't put my name on the title.

Mukwonago, WI |

We own another house we bought in 2004.I fixed it up but we couldn't get our money back so I rent it.Back to the farm,our agreement was I fix it up she supply's the materials.When we get married my name will go on the title.I have been with her for 10 years,Iam 2 years in to my marriage,We recently refinanced and all I was doing was doing was initialing the papers indicating my wife was refinancing.I felt be trailed, my marriage has never been the same.My wife just recently had a real estate lady come and look at the house.My wife was un aware of the lady had been in the house 4 years ago when it was up for sale.She was shocked at what I pulled off in 4 years.My wife is a Dr we having nothing but high end every thing.I was able to do 90% of the work,If a contractor had done the work 300,+

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Title is irrelevant in Wisconsin. This is a marital property state and once you marry, all of the property of both parties becomes marital. With that said, the court will often give a party credit for property brought into the marriage in a divorce, especially if it is a short marriage. However, it sounds as if you have a very good argument that your efforts increased the value of the property substantially so this may offset any claim she would have for a credit for pre-marital assets.

I think you are reading too much into this house issue. You may be using this example to amplify other feelings and issues you have about your marriage. If you are interested in continuing your marriage, you need to discuss these feelings with your wife and possibly go to marriage counseling.

If you are not interested in continuing your marriage or have other concerns, our office offers free initial consultations and we handle Waukesha county divorces. Call us at 414-258-1644 to schedule an appointment.



Thank you for your time we are going to go to counseling


Your wife is alive so I assume this is an estate planning question. What's the question?

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.



What is my legal rights, my name is not on the title she just got all the labor for free .and she didn't keep her verbal agreement.I just worked 4 years of my life for free.The first 3 years 2 jobs all 4 years on the house 7 days a week ,just finished the house one day before the super bowl party 40 people to admire my work,I got a lot of that a boys


Wisconsin is a Marital Property state. This is a form of community property and ownership is not determined strictly by title.

This is really something you should be discussing with your wife, and possibly a marriage counselor, not posting online to a bunch of lawyers. It has to do with trust and communication issues between the two of you.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer