Skip to main content

Sexually harassed by my landlord. What are my options?

Flushing, MI |

I rent a home. My landlord has texted me several times asking for naked pictures. I have told him this makes me uncomfortable and it's not professional. He told me that he would mow the lawn free (lawn care is not in my lease) if I would send him the pictures. He also told me that he "would do anything" if I didn't tell his wife. I need to know what my options are, please help!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Contact an attorney who handles personal injury and tort claims for legal advice. Save those texts. This may violate landlord-tenant laws in your state so you may also want to contact a non-profit Tenant Rights group in your area for some legal advice. Save all the evidence and text messages. You can take pictures of the text messages with an i-phone or smart phone.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at and Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at


A local lawyer can send a cease and desist letter.


I would like some additional information before posting any particular advice. It is generally illegal to sexually harass tenants but at this point I don't think the landlord has caused you enough damages to warrant filing a lawsuit. You may want to contact the Michigan Department of Civil Rights to get some assistance. The main issue is that most likely this landlord will figure out a way to interfere with your lease and though you may ultimately be successful in a lawsuit, not having a place to live can cause even more issues.

Each employment situation has unique facts and circumstances. This means that information and advice cannot be taken literally and should be used as only informational. The information provided here is not legal advice and should not be interpreted as such.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer