Skip to main content

Settlement Agreement and Final Decree

Fayetteville, GA |

After a Settlement Agreement is signed by the 2 Spouses, can anyone including the judge alter the agreement and include things in the final decree that were not in the settlement agreement or leave anything out or alter anything without the agreement of the spouses?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Yes, the judge has the authority to change provisions in an agreement. However, unless there is something that is unconscionable, the judge normally signs the divorce decree as agreed.


The judge can make changes, usually correct mistakes, etc. If the agreement needs major revisions the parties must be involved. This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer