Skip to main content

Settle arrears with a lump sum?

Phoenix, AZ |

My husband is trying to pay off about a 30,000 arrears bill for Child Support (most of the amount is all interest) and it seems to just keep going up although he is paying child support now, and the arrears. He was out of work at a time and couldn't find a job hence starting the arrears because he was unable to make payments. Is there anyway that we can settle this with a lump sum so that we can eliminate the constantly climbing interest??

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


yes, but you have to agree and then make sure the state agrees if they paid support on your behalf. Good luck.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


As long as the state has not been paying you any benefits, you can generally stipulate to satisfaction of child support arrearages. However, if the state has been making payments for which it is entitled to reimbursement, they will also have to join the stipulation before the court will enter an order eliminating any child support arrears and interest.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.


You can settle the arrears, but the Mother will have to agree. Typically it is not in the best interests of the child to agree to a settlement, because they are entitled to the support and the arrears can never be discharged or forgiven.

Information provided on this site does not constitute legal advice. Answers posted here are based on a very limited amount of information and are given without a conventional consultation. Information posted here should be valued accordingly. We offer free initial consultations that require completion of a questionnaire detailing your situation and a personal one-on-one attorney interview to provide qualified legal advice. The answers posted here might be completely different with more information.

Celia R Reed

Celia R Reed


I agree with the general concept, but I think the situation is slightly different when the arrears are impossible to satisfy because of the overwhelming amount of interest.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer