Skip to main content

Separation paper nor my divorce stated anything about how long to hold my belongings. I returned to having nothing.

Gig Harbor, WA |

My divorce stated that all my personal stuff was to be mine I moved out of state then only to return for ex husband and child to have relationship only to ask many times over When I could get my things from the house only to find out that he throw everything of mine away without me knowing about it. Its been months since the last time I tried to ask about my things that might have been still there and being used my his now new girlfriend. He knew I was moving back and I have him on recorder stating he knew full well that he was doing and he didnt care. He also lied to court saying I moved back and never asked I have emails and texts saying differently. I want to be able to go to his house and get my things or what is left of it.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I am sorry that you are going through this, if the divore agreement does not have a date, then a reasonable date is anticipated from the court, if your spouse frustrated that process you may use the court to help you. Take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


If the decree says that you get what you possess, you're out of luck. If it says that your ex is to keep it and return it to you, that's what he has to do. If the decree is silent, the court normally requires return of personal belongings within a reasonable time after the decree. After one month, the judge will expect your ex to still have it for the return. After one year, not.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes