Skip to main content

Separated into to different home? But staying at each others homes. Still having marital relations?

San Jose, CA |

Separated. Sharing bills. Suddenly served with divorce papers. Are we responsible for our bills in household. Minis credit card dept.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Not sure of your main question "still having marital relations?". However, you both have a duty to continue to pay your community debts/bills. If you use your own separate property to pay a community debt, then you can get reimbursement for it. Below is a link that can give you some more information.


YOU CAN live in the same house and be separated or you can live in different houses and be married.
The issue is are you intimate with each other?
IF you agree to have a divorce this is going to be typical procedure.
You can have an uncontested divorce.
Some of us in avvo including me we work in your area and we can help you to finish your divorce and save you money in the process

Disclaimer:Attorney and Fraud Examiner.One of few that are Certified Fraud Examiners (CFE). The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+. *the certification is not a specialty recognized by the California State Bar.


It is not at all clear what you are asking. As Mr. McRae indicated, you are responsible for community property debts.

If you found this response helpful, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this response. Thank you. Mr. Richardson can be reached at 650.324.4801 and practices in San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties, concentrating in non-adversarial dispute resolution as a mediator and collaborative lawyer. The California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization certifies Mr. Richardson as a specialist in California Family Law. He offers no comments or advice with respect to the laws of any state or jurisdiction other than California. The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. Mr. Richardson is not your lawyer unless and until you and he have personally met together. This post does not constitute legal advice, and no lawyer client relationship results.


After date of separation you are each responsible for own can still agree to split household debts if living togetgher....if not in agreement, question is what is date of separation and who pays should have a consultation with a family law attorney of your choice asap........