Skip to main content

Separated, learned husband married me knowing he had "alternative" interests. What custody/property rights do I have?

Quakertown, PA |

Secretly playing out his "alternative" interests which I finally learned about after 15 years, I asked him to leave after attempts at family counseling. I have full custody of two young children and he has maybe one to two weekends a month. We have no "official" separation docs, but agreed in writing to each other on custody wishes and financial responsibilities. He now wants me to sell our house and is trying to say he can raise the children any way he wants when they are with him, which many times is against our previous mutual agreements on child-rearing. What rights do I have to about being forced to sell my children's home, letting him claim one child on his taxes and allowing the children to see their dad but making sure they are cared for properly?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


How could he 'force' you to sell your home? Recommend you sit down with a family law attorney and discuss all your circumstances and objectives.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.


The greatest right you have in this situation is to consult as soon as possible with an experienced family law attorney in your area. You need a face to face consultation because you have so many issues and interests that need to be discussed, far too many to be addressed on this forum.

Be sure to click Best Answer if you found this helpful. Disclaimer: Please note that this response does not in any way an attorney-client relationship between Kathryn L. Hilbush and the recipient. My responses are general in nature. They do not constitute legal advice. You are advised to consult an attorney regarding this and any other legal matters.


You have a lot of concerns that need yo be addressed. You really should consult with an attorney to explore your rights. Many offer free consultations.

All information provided in this comment is intended for informational purposes only and does not, by itself, create an attorney client relationship. Without the benefit a personal consultation to exploe all of the facts of your legal problem, the information in this posting may be inaccurate and for that reason it should not be relied upon. If you wish to consult with an attorney, or have any questions concerning this comment, please feel free to contact our offices through any of the above contact sources.