Selling a home under the Lady Bird Deed.

Lansing, MI |

If the grantor of a Lady Bird Deed in Michigan decides to sell their home at the time of being put in assisted living,can the grantor give that money to the grantees of the deed without a claim being made by the State to obtain the money from the sale of the home?

No. That's a divestment. The state won't make the claim, though, they'll impose a penalty period. It's the nursing home that won't get paid that'll be suing your mom and then you (under a fraudulent conveyance theory). If you wish, you may drop me a email to discuss further...

This is not legal advice. I am not your lawyer. You are not my client. You cannot rely on my response to your question. My response to your question is probably worth exactly what you paid for it. You don't get to sue me for anything. If you'd like to sue me, well you have to hire me first. Here's how you can hire me! #1 Call: 1-888-463-2843 #2 Email: david@davidcarrierlaw.com #3 See me on TV! www.woodtv.com - go to the Ask the Expert tab! #4 Listen to my radio show (2 full hours every week!) www.woodradio.com - go to the podcast section.

Mr. Carrier is right on point. This would be a big mistake.

Unlike a life estate, a Lady Bird Deed is a testamentary transfer deed meaning title doesn't change hands until the grantor dies. At any time before their death the grantor can execute a new deed replacing the grantee or terminating the testamentary transfer. As a result it is still an asset or resource for which Medicaid needs an accounting. The steps you describe won't work because it is still a transfer for less than fair value.

Responses provided on Avvo are for general informational purposes only, based upon the limited information that is provided, and do not constitute legal advice. As such you should consult with your own attorney for specific advice. No attorney/client relationship exists with Kelly S. Davis unless set forth in a written engagement letter. The Wyoming State Bar does not certify any attorney as a specialist or expert. Anyone considering a lawyer should independently investigate the lawyer's credentials and ability, and not rely upon advertisements or self-proclaimed expertise.

What you are trying to accomplish can - for the most part - be done, but not in the manner you are suggesting.

To be clear, execution of a LBQCD by itself is NOT a divestment, because it is not a completed transfer of ownership. However, the disclaiming of proceeds from the sale of a home would be a divestment.

I would suggest getting an opinion from more than one attorney on this matter.