Skip to main content

Self-employed professional. License issued by State that requires continuing education. Business expense or Sch. A deduction?

Saint Louis, MO |

The question would be easy to answer if i was employed and the expense was not reimbursed: Sch. A.
But, I am self employed, and I get a more favorable tax treatment if it is a cost of business.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


A self employed person files Schedule C to report all income and all related business expenses. The expense you reference would be deducted here and NOT on Schedule A which is what a W-2 employee would do for unreimbursed business expenses.

My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained. Please click "helpful" or "best answer" if my answer added any value or add a "comment" if you have more info for me to help you get a better answer.