Skip to main content

Seize and desist letter for harassment/stalking?

San Francisco, CA |

What type of lawyer writes these? I cut off my abusive mom, and told her to stop contacting me. she has continued to do so, and is harassing me via phone/email. I have plenty of evidence of me telling her to stop but she keeps doing it. She has threatened me and my family, not with physical violence but other things.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You don't need a letter, you need to file for a Restraining Order. I've provided a link from the California Courts page. It will answer many of your questions. Keep your documentation, you'll need it.


You may want to pursue civil restraining order.


A cease and desist letter is about as effective as using a garden hose to put out a fire in a commercial building.
Follow the suggestion about a civil restraining order

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.


The letter can be written by any attorney familiar with California's civil harassment statutes. Sometimes such a letter is effective and sometimes it is not. Assuming that a letter is written and the harassment continues, California has specific laws that permit the issuance of a restraining order. The circumstances would need to be reviewed with an attorney to determine if the conduct falls within the statutory basis for issuance of a restraining order.

The above is general information only. It should not be considered as legal advice applicable to your specific circumstance. Reliable legal advice applicable to your situation cannot be given without a consultation. The above response does not create an attorney client relationship nor should it be considered as a privileged attorney client communication.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer