Sealing of Juvenile arrest record while waiting for court's decision on DUI charge.

I am 30 yrs old. I was recently arrested for DUI charge. On the day of the arraingment, I was given the discovery document, which also mentions my history of arrest as a juvenile. At the time, I was not convicted of any crime and was let go. I did not expect for my arrest to show up on in my history. Today, my record states -" Prosecutor prefiling deferral" next to the crime. My question is - Can I apply for sealing the arrest record (Juvenile)? Can I do this while I wait for the results of the DUI charge?

They won't entertain sealing the juvenile record while charges are pending. But if it is only an arrest, it shouldn't be an issue.

The opinions rendered herein are based on general principles of law. Laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and there are often numerous factors which can render advice or an opinion inapplicable. You should NOT make any decisions about the handling of a legal matter without first directly consulting with an attorney about the particulars of your case.

Anthony Michael Solis

Anthony Michael Solis

I think you can seal, as long as there is no civil case pending arising from the juvy conduct. But this may be moot if there is not adjudication, only an arrest.

You can seal juvenile while it's pending. See Welf. & Inst. Code 781 et seq.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

Michael Moshe Levin

Michael Moshe Levin

Mr Solis is correct that 781 does not bar the relief with a pending misdemeanor, my experience is that the requirement that "rehabilitation has been attained to the satisfaction of the court

Michael Moshe Levin

Michael Moshe Levin

" is deemed in satisfied while a charge is pending.

I have the DUI case pending, no civil case though. At time time, I was arrested, asked to perform community service and attend a few sessions with a counsellor. I never saw court. My report states, "Prosecutor prefiling deferral". Is this considered an adjudication?

You're definitely old enough to get the juvenile arrests sealed. The court has to be persuaded that you are rehabilitated, however. I certainly don't think a DUI at 30 shows that you're not rehabilitated from whatever charge you picked up as a minor, but it could stand in the way.