Skip to main content

SC landlord / tenant retaliatory eviction for filing complaint with code enforcement . who to sue? BIC/property management or?

Rock Hill, SC |

contesting retaliatory eviction for us, tenants filing complaint with code enforcement who found several code violations. One led to an injury ( fell through rotten floor and STILL never fixed). Now we were served 10 day notice to vacate. We are filing objection with magistrate court. However, we are also wanting to counter sue for damages 1. injury 2. retaliatory eviction 3. violations and request for repairs , broken windows, doors, door locks and numerous others. We requested the insurance information of the property OWNER to file for the injury/medical bills. but owner refused to give that info, which aftewards, we got the eviction notice. During the hearing for the eviction, do we then raise counter claim? or sue the actual owner in a separate case/claim? (OR) would both be responsibl

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Dear Rock Hill Tenant:

I am an attorney licensed to practice law in New York. I do not practice law in you state. Because you may be concerned that no attorney took a look at your question, I want you to know, that may not be so. Sometimes question posted in AVVO do not lead to an answer that may solve your problem or direct you to a solution.

You surely seem to know that you need an attorney to handle the multiple issues of bad landlord, eviction proceeding and personal injury.

You need to have a face to face with a local attorney.

You may try again and redraft the question. It is possible that your question is not clear for an attorney in your state to answer.

Good luck.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.



Thanks so much for words of encouragement. However, I tried being as specific as I could and not sure of any other way to ask it!

Steven Warren Smollens

Steven Warren Smollens


OK. You will still need a lawyer working for you. But if you have time try to redo the question and perhaps you will receive an answer from a nearby attorney. Good luck.