Skip to main content

Rule 1.350 of the Florida Rules of Civil Procedure

Palm Harbor, FL |

Please help! I am now pro se in a custody battle. I have been served by my ex's attorney 'request for production of documents', stating that it falls under Rule 1.350 of the FL Rules of Civil Procedure. The things that the petitioner is requesting is stuff like where I've applied for jobs, what classes I'm enrolled in college, how long I've been taking classes, any loans or grants I've received -- no where does it state this is for child support, just that the father feels the need to examine these documents. They are also requesting these documents for 1.5 years before our daughter was born and even 6mths before the petitioner and I met. Am I able to object this request? What do I need to do? Is it legal to ask this information? Please help me, someone! I am desperate.

Also, I have done financial affidavits, and Mandatory Disclosure -- I feel like this request on their part, is yet ANOTHER way to try and control me. I am a stay at home mom, and I am a full time college student (taking classes online).. our daughter has never NOT been provided for, I live in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom condo.. I want to object to these requests, but I don't know how too. Please help.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I am an attorney based in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Rule 1.350 of the FL Rules of Civil Procedure are liberally construed. That said, the documents requested must be somewhat relative to your case. They cannot be "so excessive as to be unduly burdensome to the party ordered to produce."

Generally, information sought must relate to issues involved in litigation. It is probably smart to retain an attorney to help with crafting objections to specific requests and then defend you in a hearing in case opposition files a motion to compel responses.



Thank you so much for your response! So I can object these requests then, since it has nothing to do with the case. I am meeting with an attorney tomm. morning, but I have a 10day deadline to respond to opposing counsel or she is filling a motion to comply -- how would I go about objecting these requests? Is there a formal paper I need to file, or can I just send a letter saying I object, and why I object? Thank you again.

Darren Adam Heitner

Darren Adam Heitner


Let me know if your attorney was able to answer your questions for you.


Yes, he has an attorney and you do not so you are going to be pushed around. You are meeting with an attorney so heed that advice and we will wish you well.

This is intended to be general guidance and not necessarily state specific advice. There are some concepts that are the same or similar in most jurisdictions but not all. Use the web site to find an attorney in your area for state specific advice. In addition to that, contact your local bar association for referral to an attorney who specializes in this or talk to friends and neighbors to ask about an attorney they have used and liked. Often, but not always, the attorney will do an initial consultation free of charge. You will then be in a better position to determine what to do next. Best of luck to you!

If you liked this answer, click on the thumbs up or vote it best answer! Thanks. Eliz. C. A. Johnson Post Office Box 8 Danville, California 94526-0008 Legal disclaimer: I do not practice law in any state but California. As such, any responses to posted inquiries, such as the one above, are limited to a general understanding of law in California and not to any other jurisdiction. In addition, no response to any posted inquiry should be deemed to constitute legal advice, nor to constitute the existence of an attorney/client or other contractual or fiduciary relationship, inasmuch as legal advice can only be provided in circumstances in which the attorney is able to ask questions of the person seeking legal advice and to thus gather appropriate information.