Skip to main content

Rights in a will.

Collegeville, PA |

My husbands father died six and a half years ago, the estate is still open in New Jersey.He left everything to the living grandchildren adopted and afterbirth. My husband just adopted my children,do they have any rights? No names are down in the Will just said grandchildren.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You'll need to retain an experienced probate attorney to review the will and its interplay with the provisions of New Jersey law with respect to after-adopted children (and, in this case, grandchildren). Without reviewing the will's terms, it is impossible to answer your question. Good luck to you.

This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor considered to be the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. I am licensed in Connecticut and New York and my answers are based upon the law in those jurisdictions. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if I were to review a client's file and have the opportunity to interview the client. Accordingly, I strongly urge you to retain an attorney in your jurisdiction with respect to any legal matter.


I agree that you need to have an attorney review this. It is unlikely that anything happening after the death of your father-in-law would have any affect on the distribution of the estate. The Will could possibly provide otherwise. An attorney should be able to answer this question in about 5 minutes after reviewing the Will.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!


You need to have a probate attorney review the will and facts of the case. Based on what you state in your question it should be clear from the will what should happen with the distribution of the property. Whether the executor is correctly administering the estate is of course another matter entirely.

Jacques H. Geisenberger Jr.

Jacques H. Geisenberger Jr.


Since the Estate is being administered in New Jersey, you should seek advice from a probate attorney or firm admitted to practice in New Jersey since the laws of that state control the interpretation of the will and the administration of the estate.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer