Skip to main content

Reverse mortgage legal question

New York, NY |

Can my spouse get a reverse mortgage on property that we own jointly without my signature/consent?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3



This is AVVO, a place for users to obtain general legal information to general legal questions. I am glad to help you in any way I can, within those limits. I wish to make clear I am only communicating with you for the sole purpose of exchanging such general information, and nothing more. It is not legal advice, which I can not provide because among other reasons I know few of the necessary details of your situation. I do not purport to represent you in any way, shape or form. Of course, if you would like to seek out my services, and if you are a NY resident, I will probably not put up very much resistance but representation would still necessitate a signed retainer agreement between yourself and I. Thank you.


I doubt anyone would lend unless all the owners sign.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


The most your spouse could mortgage would be their interest in the property; because, presumably (depends on the wording of the deed) you would have a right of survivorship, it is unlikely anyone would give your spouse a reverse mortgage.

My answer to your question is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship,