Restricted License and What does that mean and am I able to get my Driving Privilege back to normal?

California |

I got a restricted license to go to and from school, work and DUI program..now it says it remains in effect until August 2010..Am I able to get my Normal License back? Why am I being penalized for paying the fees and enrolling in a program and filing AN SR-22? What does this mean, Help?

This is my first time, no bad record ever.. Poor judgment on my part. I did the 30 day hard suspension and was eligible to get a Restricted License..Now is this because they are allowing me time to complete the DUI Program and I would complete it in the middle of June instead of the beginning,which the class is 15 weeks??

You aren't being penalized -- you applied for a restricted license, which is exactly what you received.

It sounds like your license was suspended by DMV after a hearing for driving with a blood alcohol level over .08%.

For people over 21 who have no prior DUI convictions or suspensions, and who did not refuse a chemical test, there are two options:

1) A four-month "hard" suspension, with no driving at all.
2) Serving 30 days of complete suspension, then applying to DMV for a restricted license for the next five months.

Your restrictions are the standard terms.

I guess you could contact DMV and ask if you can return the restricted license and go without a license altogether until June, so you can get your full license back sooner... but I'm not sure about that because I always carefully explain the options to my clients, so I've never encountered the issue before.

This isn't a penalty, it's a reduction of the penalty. Allowing you to work and attend the school. At the end of the restriction you can get your license back.

Edward J. Blum

Avvo DUI email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and legal advice about DUIs.