Response time after a plenary hearing?

Freehold, NJ |

Family court plenary hearing was middle of July, and although the judge said he wanted this finished quickly (within 2 weeks), still no response. This hearing was to determine percentage costs for college.

Filed under: Family law State court

Best Answer

Call the judge's law clerk and ask if a decision has been made. Some judges issue written opinions as opposed to oral decisions on the record, so that may be one reason for the wait.

609-271-3573. This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.

Thank you very much...it is a written opinion. I will contact the law clerk tomorrow.

I agree with counsel

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.

The court's goal is to have plenary hearings completed, from the time that the initial pleading/motion is filed until the final order is entered, within six months. After six months, the plenary case goes into backlog, which is a mark against the judge and county in the eyes of the state court administration.
Notwithstanding, it is not uncommon for Family Part cases to fall into backlog in certain counties in New Jersey due to the volume of cases compared to the number of judges. Middlesex County has approximately ten Family Part judges and no or close to no backlog. Comparatively, Somerset, Hunterdon, and Warren Counties have approximately six or seven Family Part judges combined and has substantial backlog.
If your child started college this month, it may be advisable to politely and tactfully advise the judge of that and ask that he/she render his/her decision as soon as possible to give you, the other parent, and most importantly, the child some finality and predictability as soon as possible.

DISCLAIMER REGARDING REPRESENTATION This message (including any/all attachments) does not establish an attorney-client relationship between you and me. An attorney-client relationship between you and I can only be established by personal contact and requires (i) my prior written consent to act as your attorney and (ii) your and my execution of a written retainer agreement. LEGAL ADVICE/SOLICITATION This message (including any/all attachments) is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute solicitation or legal advice.

Thank you so much for your response. The child is now in the 2nd year of college. This is going in since last summer. First judge ordered an amount without a plenary hearing, other parent fought it, and now a plenary hearing was with a different judge. The judge did say he wants this finished, but we are still waiting.

Best to call judge's clerk to inquire about opinion