Skip to main content

Residency status in usa.

New York, NY |

In 2000 I married a us citizen.In 2001 I arrived in USA.I've worked 4 years with a contract.
In the end of 2006 I returned to Europe.My husband and I, we divorced in 2004.
I want to know what is my residency status in usa.
What authority should i contact?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Once you have been outside of the US for a year, you are presumed to have abandoned your residency status. You could check with the nearest US consulate if you believe that you have maintained sufficient ties to the US to retain residency.

This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For a free telephone consultation, contact us now at: (512) 215-5235 Austin, (214) 377-4822 Dallas, (713) 242-1783 Houston, (210) 957-8845 San Antonio Please dial extension 500


If you have been out of the U.S. for seven years, you have almost certain abandoned your former status.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


if you left in 2006 and have not returned, more likely than not you have abandoned your permanent residency

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.


When a green card holder is outside of the US for a year it is presumed that residency in US is abandoned. Did you have any particular reason for staying in Europe? I suggest speaking to an attorney regarding your matter. Good Luck!