Skip to main content

Residency for illegal alien?

Baltimore, MD |

if a person remain in the united states for 10 years as an illegal alien , what would be his residence of last five years . would it be united states or his home country . since he has no legal status in the USA , would USA be considered his residence for last five years ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes, the USA is where that person resided during the last 5 years, illegal or not. The USA is this his residence for the last 10 years.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Residence is residence, whether legal or "illegal." I'm wondering why you are asking the question. I suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney about your case.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


Agree with my colleagues.; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.For legal advice please contact us directly through one of the above.