Skip to main content

Requirements in filing for I-130

Gansevoort, NY |

I am going to file petition for my unmarried 17 year old son on the Philippines. He was a k2 visa holder, went to visit us here when he was 16, then went back to PH after a month. My husband(USC) will petition him. Based on the answer that the other lawyers answered me, I just need to file I-130. But now I got confused, is that all we need to send the USCIS? or there are other requirements. thank you,

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I-130 has official instructions. Read those. The information is there. If still unclear, make a consultation with an immigration attorney.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.


You would benefit tremendously from hiring a lawyer. There are many different ways by which someone can be eligible to immigrate to the U.S. and you would only know the best strategy by consulting an attorney.

*IMPORTANT: Do not rely on Attorney Murray's response as the information provided on this website is NOT legal advice nor is it a substitute for legal advice which requires a consultation with a lawyer. Attorney Murray's response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. If you have any specific questions concerning a legal issue, you should consult a lawyer. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information on a Q&A website such as Avvo. Attorney Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted on Avvo are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. New Jersey residents: NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. The selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:


The I-130 will work if you and your husband were married before your son was 16. Once the I-130 is approved, your son will start the process of consular processing for his immigrant visa. Cases from the Philippines are being processed faster, but you're probably still looking at about a year before your son can come to the United States.

This general advice does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in discussing this situation further, call 678-713-4255 for a consultation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer