Skip to main content

Requesting USCIS for past I-20 documents through FOIA

Indianapolis, IN |

I'm currently applying for my green card. The lawyer says I must have all my prevous I-20 documents. I have attended THREE different schools before:
School A - 1998 to 2000
School B - 2001
School C - 2002 - 2003

I got most of the I-20 documents through school B - except, that the I have "complete" I-20 which has page 1 and 2 for school B, but only page 1 for the rest. However, page 1 has most of the information, and page 2 only has very little information on it.

I'm just hoping I got lucky without submitting page 2 for school A and C. I heard some people said I can request my previous I-20 through FOIA USCIS. Or even better, I just re-enter to the U.S. to prove I must be legal and always contain legal status. Some people suggests to get status letter from schools. Any suggstion?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

USCIS has nothing to do with I-20s. The FOIA needs to be directed to ICE.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.



Do you mind to share info. about what is "ICE"?

J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari


Immigration and Customs Enforcement



Do you have any suggestion on how to direct FOIA to ICE?


Are you going to listen to the legal advice of 'some people' or of a trained, experienced and licensed attorney?

Yes, a FOIA should help .... there is a lot of important info on page 2

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Your attorney would need it and in whole. Check if your school has a copy of it. Best Wishes!
Lalita Haran
Attorney: Immigration Law
13295 Illinosi St Ste 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174

Contact (317) 660-6174 for specific legal advice. Answers here are not legal advice because they are of general nature and not tailored to your specific situation. You should not act on this answer without checking with an Immigration Attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer