Skip to main content

Request for documents in disclosure

Phoenix, AZ |

Is there an "official" way to request documents or evidence in a civil suit? Can I just write a letter to the party/counsel or is there a specific form required

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to follow Rules 34 of the Arizona Rules of Civil Procedure. Typically, you would not request production of documents by way of a letter. You would draw up a document with the case caption on it, as if you were drafting a motion to file with the court, and then you put on the title: Request for Production of Documents and Tangible Things. Then in the body of the document, you list the items you are requesting that the other party produce.


You need to review the rules of civil procedure, Rule 34 deals with requesting documents, Rule 33 deals with interrogatories (written questions), and Rule 36 deals with request for admissions. In addition, every party has an affirmative obligation to disclose the identities of witness and exhibits to be used pursuant to Rule 26. Good luck.

This information is provided for general informational purposes and is not intended as legal advice. An attorney licensed in your jurisdiction can answer questions specific to your specific fact situation and provide you appropriate advice as necessary based on the specific facts of your matter and the jurisdiction in which you reside. If you are in Arizona and interested in discussing your matter further I can be reached at: (480) 838-9000 Campbell Law PC 1839 S. Alma School Road, Suite 275 Mesa, Arizona 85210


You have now had 2 AZ lawyers help you through this issue. Don't you think it is time for you to retain a lawyer? Otherwise, you should sit down with the court rules and learn them, or just wait for you to see that you have made a big mistake.

No information provided in response to these questions can be relied upon in any way without further personally consulting with Attorney Kerrigan and Attorney Kerrigan consulting personally with you regarding your specific legal situation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer