Skip to main content

Renters rights for pest control

Los Angeles, CA |

Hello, my name is Aaron.
I have recently discovered my bedroom has bed bugs, they are these vampire like things that are next to impossible to get rid of. The only sure way is to fumeagate with the tent around your house. I rent one side of a duplex house. My property management company says the only thing they have to spray for is roaches. I find this hard to believe because my neighbor could have introduced them to the duplex. They say I have to pay for the fumagation. Are they responsible to fumagate and provide a safe inviroment? in live in los angeles county.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Thanks for using Avvo. Please note that I am not licensed to practice law in the state of California. Due to the high volume of questions right now, it may take longer for some of our loyal Avvo lawyers to get back to you. In the meantime, I wanted to offer some preliminary help. There are many kinds of defects that could make a rental unit unlivable. A rental unit may be considered unlivable if a nuisance endangers the health, life, safety, property, or welfare of the occupants, but keep in mind that California laws does not hold landlord's responsible for damages caused by the tenant, tenant's guests, or pets. I have attached is a web link to access information on landlord tenant law and other housing issues. You should consult a top Avvo-rated lawyer in your area. Good luck.


Dear Tenant,

I am licensed in California. Please note that only licensed attorneys can give you legal advise in the state of California. For an unlicensed person to give legal advice in California is a crime, and I believe that applies equally to website postings.

First of all, I see that you are in Los Angeles. You should call the Los Angeles Housing Department (866) 557-RENT and ask for a Code Enforcement Inspection. You should do the same with the Los Angeles County Environmental Health Department (626) 430-5200. These agencies can both order your landlord to exterminate the bedbugs. If your landlord refuses, he could end up with a criminal complaint against him. Please do this as soon as possible because this is the fastest way to fix the problem.

Your landlord does have a legal duty to make sure your unit is habitable, and this includes making sure it is free from vermin and rodents. See Civil Code section 1941 and 1941.1. This is the landlord's legal duty, so the landlord has to pay.

Fran Campbell



My question is this: if we have lived somewhere for over a year and are just now having what appears to be a mice infestation problem does our landlord have to commit to maintaining the vermin control with a company who wants a quarterly contract for the extermination or does the landlord only have to pay once and then the responsibility falls to us to maintain the service? Also if there are problems with the house, such as drywall or cabinetry that aren't up to code and are causing the rodents to nest here does that change what the landlord is responsible for? Can they say they aren't going to fix the problem and suggest we move?

Frances Miller Campbell

Frances Miller Campbell


No, they can't say that. They have to fix ALL the problems. Maintenance is the landlord's responsibility.