Skip to main content

Remedies for reduction of restitution fines for a disabled person

Mesa, AZ |

I have a restitution hold on my car registration in AZ. The restitution comes from non-payment of fines from a old DUI in 2005. I am unemployed. There is no way I can make payments. I have no income. I have never worked and I never will. What do I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Appear in front of the judge and explain your problems.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.



My second question is… What exactly is a "restitution hold" on my registration? My car is registered in AZ. The tags expire in Novembber. I moved to California a couple weeks ago, but, still have a home in AZ. Will the hold prevent me from registering my car in California? And/or could it prevent me from renewing my registration in AZ ?


The Court will not accept that conclusion and require you to do something to satisfy your obligation. Whether that be a small monthly payment or community service, it will require you to make an appearance in front of a Judge. The fact that you have a vehicle and the ability to afford gas to drive that vehicle (and access to a computer) indicate that you must have some means. The Court will work with you in reviewing your finances and setting up a payment plan, but may require you to pay a down payment since the case is so old. Go to the Court, explain your situation, tell the front desk you are walk in, and try to get in front of a Judge.



Can I ask the court to reconsider my sanctions, reduce the amount, or waive the fines due to my disability and inability to make payments? The car was a gift, my boyfriend makes sure the car is always full of gas and my computer was a christmas present. I don’t have any bills. My necessities are provided, that isn’t considered an income. The courts declared me to be disabled.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer