Skip to main content

Rehab center was negligent. moved my dad 4/26 to another rehab without notifying anyone, not even the dr. Can we sue them?

Chicago, IL |

He was vomiting right before they moved him. They told him he was being moved and he thought he was being moved to a private room as originally agreed. They sent an incomplete chart to the other rehap. No notification he was dehydrated and needed to be on IV. We notified the Dr. and he asked us to have him transported to the hospital for evaluation. He was also very upset he wasn't notified. Ambulance didn't want to move him b/c his vital signs were so low and were afraid he'd have a heart attack on the way to the hospital. My sister signed a release of liability and they moved him. ER said he was completely dehydrated and bp was extremely low. Thought he would need dyalisis, he's stable now, still in ICU. Still don't know why he was moved. Dentures and meds are missing.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The most important issue is was he injured? Was his health changed by the facilities moving in?

Samuel A. Coffey, Esq. ABRAMOWITZ, POMERANTZ & COFFEY, P.A. Belle Terre of Sunrise, Suite 101 7800 W. Oakland Park Boulevard Sunrise, FL 33351 Phone: (954) 572-7200 Fax: (954) 748-6488 Legal Disclaimer: If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. Sam Coffey is licensed to practice law in Florida. This response is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Coffey strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.


Have a local lawyer order his records and investigate.


It appears from the information that you provided that you would at a minimum have a potential claim for the amount of the medical bills, and depending on the amount of permanent injury as a result of the dehydration and related hospitalization there might be other claims. They most likely would be medical malpractices claims and would require a high burden of proof and the use of experts. It may not be financially reasonable to pursue an action if the amount you can recover is less than the amount necessary to bring the action.

I recommend you meet with a qualified nursing home neglect attorney in your area for a consult. You can find a qualified attorney on AVVO.

Good luck.

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer